Summerbridge Louisville (SBL) is a 6-week free summer school for Jefferson County Public School students who are rising 6th and 7th graders. The focus of our school is to prepare and support talented underserved middle school students for greater academic success and strong character, emphasizing the basics of academics: math, reading, writing, and critical thinking skills.
SBL is modeled after a national program located in San Francisco, California, now renamed Breakthrough Collaborative. SBL program began in 1992 with 25 students. From 1992-2004, SBL was housed at Kentucky Country Day School. Since 2005, the summer program has been housed at Ursuline Campus (Sacred Heart Academy) located on Lexington Road. SBL’s concept has over 30 years of success in “getting younger students into learning and older students into teaching”. (Newsweek 1990).
- Free six-week, full day, academic enrichment program in the summer
- Skills testing to help focus instruction at appropriate levels
- Art, multicultural programs, and sports included in the curriculum
- Mandatory after-school tutoring year-round for students whose grades drop to a C
- Students participation for two years with third year optional
- Classes taught by college student teachers recruited from our community
- Emphasis on providing role models and mentors for underserved students
- Celebrating student excellence